Suggest treatment for lower abdominal discomfort

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Ate an unaccustomed large greasy meal too fast and a week later still having lower abdominal discomfort, noise, bloated feeling, belching. Feels better for a while after a light meal. Bowel movements are normal. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

You wrote that you are not taking any medications. Do you mean for this current problem, or in general, that you need no meds and have no ongoing diagnoses?

I'll assume that you are otherwise healthy with no history of irritable or inflammatory bowel diseases, no history of pancreatic or gall bladder problems, and no diverticular disease. Also no endocrine disorders or diabetes.

If that is the case, it may just take more time for your body to return to normal. In the meantime, consider using simethicone, such as in the product GasX. Simethicone breaks up gas into smaller units so that there is less abdominal distention and discomfort.

It sounds as though the effect has been on your upper digestive tract as well, if you are having belching. Consider a trial of Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day for a week. This will reduce your stomach's acid production by 70%, allowing irritation that might have happened from acid, to heal.

Also, for now, decrease foods that might ferment such as fruit and possibly simple refined carbohydrates.

There may be a gall bladder issue going on, but typically the pain is on the upper right side, where the gall bladder is, rather than lower abdominal discomfort.

Lack of adequate pancreatic enzymes can cause this too, but then typically the stool would be abnormal (greasy, frothy).

So, if your digestion has been normal up until this event, try the Gas X and Zantac 150. But if you are getting worse or just not getting better in the next few days, then do go in to see your doctor.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 hours later
You mention Zantac and GasX - should I take both or just one or the other. And no, I have no other ongoing or chronic issues and take no medications. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello - I am so sorry I have not gotten back to you in all of this time but I missed seeing your follow up question.

It is safe to take both together, but to see which medication is having what effect, it may be best to try the GasX first and then the next day start the Zantac also. In other words to control the variables that way.

But my guess is that you may need both.