Suggest treatment for low vitamin D levels

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: mY vITAMIN d LEVEL WAS VERY LOW, My doctor told me to take 5000 iu daily. So I did . They didn't test it, as they said My levels were so low, it wouldn't matter. Three months ago I requested they check it. My vitamin D level was 149. NEAR Toxic. They told me to stop taking supplements. It is still at 119. How do I get it lower?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it will with time

Detailed Answer:

first of all to answer your question, the levels will get down with time. You can't do much except watching your calcium intake and serum calcium levels as vitamin D raises them.

I have to add the following comment though as there are some 'gaps' in your description of your situation. You said that your vitamin D levels were very low but they were not measured? How can anybody tell then? I don't get that... please clarify!

The second comment I have to make is that toxicity occurs when taking excessive doses of vitamin D for too long but taking 5000 units per day sounds safe for most individuals particularly when taken for only 3 months. I suppose it had to be high right from the start...

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!