Suggest treatment for low sperm count

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Fri, 2 Jan 2015 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi,
I have an issue of low sperm count. i did a semen test and my count is 18 million per mill. the motility as follows: 25% Active, 20% Sluggish, 55% Non motile. my culture shows i have scanty growth of staph. please what is the best drug to take to boost my sperm count and treatment of infection. thanks.

Also my Morphology is : 90% Normal , 10% Abnormal

please i need your best assistance as I and my wife have been TTC for over three years not with no result yet.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Semen culture and sensitivity test

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Staph infection is generally due to contamination of semen sample by organisms in skin of penis. Hence this infection report is not reliable.

I suggest you get semen culture and sensitivity test done once again after washing tip of penis. You can take antibiotics accordingly.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
please your response is incomplete. i need your advise on the best medications to take for boosting of my sperm count.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Boosting not available for normal count

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Normal sperm count should be 15 million per ml.

Your sperm count is normal and does not need treatment.

To be specific for your query regarding boosting, there are no specific medicines available for generalised boosting. Such a concept of boosting does not exist when semen count is normal.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later
but most Doctors suggest the Normal count is from 20 million per mill and above or has that report been changed?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
WHO 2010 guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hi

World health organisation (WHO) guidelines released in 2010 specify normal count as 15 million per ml.

You can google for the same.