Suggest treatment for low sex drive and erection while using Testosterone and Arimidex

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I'm taking 500mg testosterone, my sex drive has went low and erections not as strong, I'm using arimidex 0.5mg every second day to lower estrogen, could you please help or what i should do to fix my problem
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your history.
Could you elaborate bit on your symptoms. Why was the testosterone started? Is it injectable intramuscular testosterone? How often do you take it ?

Do you know what was the reason for the low testosterone? Any issues with pituitary ? Have you had a prolactin and blood sugar test?

Smoking/alcohol or any other drug intake? ( weed etc)
Any history of depression or any psychiatric medications?

Any headcahes or vision problems?

Do you get any early morning erections?

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 12 minutes later
Hi Sir, thankyou for reply,

Take for building muscle, yes it is injectable intramuscular testosterone, i take twice a week.

Im very healthy, im a vegetarian, dont take drugs, smoke or alcohol ever.

Symptoms are that i don't desire sex, i can get an erection with wife but still soft, not rock hard like before.

No headcahes or vision problems.

No history of depression or any psychiatric medications.

No morning erections.

No, I havent had a prolactin or blood sugar test.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
If you are taking 500 mg Testosterone twice weekly, it is a wacking huge dose. Are you sure it is testosterone itself. Could you give me the exact contents of the injection. I it is testsoterone itself, then your libido and erection shouldnt be low.

I MUST WARN YOU THAT IF YOU TAKE TESTOSTERONE INJECTION, YOUR SPERM COUNT WILL DECREASE SIGNFICANTLY AND YOU MAY DEVELOP INFERTILITY.
ALSO,WHEN YOU STOP THE TESTOSTERONE INJECTIONS, BODY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRODUCE TESTOSTERONE BY ITSELF FOR MANY MONTHS .

MY SINCERE ADVICE WOULD BE TO STOP THE TESTOSTERONE AND AFTER 4 WEEKS, CHECK YOUR EARLY MORNING ( FASTING) TESTOSTERONE LEVEL, SEMEN ANALYSIS, PROLACTN etc

Binu

Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 minutes later
thanks for advice thoe this doesnt help me or what the cause could be?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
If your libido and erections are low despite being on huge doses o testosterone, it is likely that there are other causes.

The few blood tests i would suggest are,

1) Thyroid fuction tests
2) Serum Prolactin
3) blood sugar test
4) Lipid profile
5) Fasting early morning testosterone value

Thyroid dyfunction, Diabetes, high cholesterol, and high prolactin are other causes of erectile dysfunction and low libido.
Besides, anxiety and depression etc can contribute to your symptoms too