• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low platelet count

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I a m visibily healthy postmenopausal 49 year old female I have hypertension and am on atenolol for same
my platelet counts have always been like 1.1x10(5) to 1.25 x10(5) recently they came as 88,000 I do not have any symptoms. I also was taking green tea and have gr I Fatty liver on imaging I daily do 1 hour aerobic exercise my tg is 400 all oher labs are normal do I need futher evaluation
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. You require serial evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have seen the details. So many patients have a borderline low value of platelets and any count above 1 lac is fairly acceptable. Since you have a count less than 1 lac, you may require evaluation in the form of viral infection serology, vitamin B12 and folate levels and evaluation for imune thrombocytopenia. Platelet counts can be monitored alternate day. Depending upon the reports, further course of action can be planned.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 days later
my B12 is normal 880 Folate >25
Viral serology negative
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. So u just need monitoring

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. So you have normal reports of b12, folate and negative serologies, you can get your counts checked once a week and if above 1 lac, nothing to worry. Sometimes occult viral infections can also lead to low platelet counts. As the infection, settles, counts recover.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist