Suggest treatment for low oxygen saturation levels

Posted on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: the pulmonologist is concerned because y diffusion of blood ozygen is around 62???? what does that
mean in simple language and how can I improve it with ipf, and otherwise pretty good health @ 81.5? diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with severe sob..
Thanks, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would need some more info

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad, I have read your question in detail, I understand your concern and will try to help you in the best possible way.

By diffusion do you mean oxygen saturation? there can be multiple reasons of this saturation and the treatment options depend upon the cause and severity of the SOB you are having

In order to help you better , I would like you to give me some more information,

I will here by ask you some relevant questions to fill up the information gap.

1) What was your diagnosis? SOB can be due to gheart issues or lungs what did your dr tell you?
2) Do you have any reports regarding your oxygen results?
3) what medication and treatments are you taking for your SOB?
4) Does you SOB get worse when you lie down? or there is no particular relation with that?
5) Do you get any cyanosis these days ?
6) Any worsening of SOB?
7) When did lethargy get worse?

Waiting for your nput

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S ( Licensed Family practitioner)

Resident M.D.
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 14 minutes later
(1) I was diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with ipf , experiencing sob.
I did and am not taking any meds or treatment (my choice as it remains the same.(2) I have done ctscans, full breathing work ups several times about
every 6 mos.
sob does seen worse when I lie down...have gerd treated.
Lethargy stays about the same but require 12 hrs sleep ++ daily...fall asleep in reciner, etc., and younger days was an avid walker, energetic working mom w/
sick husband and 5 children.
what does cyanosis mean? diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with ipf
Yes, I have done ct scans, full breathing work ups several times...about every 6 mo.
Lethargy stays about the same but require 12 hrs.+ sleep and usually fall asleep
in recliner, etc. younger days was an avid walker, biker, energetic working
mom w/sick husband and 5 children.
what does cyanosis mean? Have treated gerd with Prilosec. thanks XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
it can be made better easilY

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back,
I hope you are safe and sound. Thanks for your detailed response to my questions.
I want to congratulate you on leading such an active and healthy life. IPF is just age related and is a part of normal senile changes.

I wil not explain to you about blood oxygen.You have IPF so there is always a problem in absoeption of oxygen through your lungs. A normal person has oxygen percentage greater than 95% but due to respiratory compromise your oygen decreased. This is indeed a concern because this percentage os not enough for body to work this will cause damage to the body plus will deprive you of energy and make you lethargic.

Yes you are right in saying that IPF is not going to change with medicine but not using medicine puts you on the back foot. Thing is, medicines may not improve condition of your lungs but it willl definitely make your lungs more efficient on the given resources it has got.

For example if one has lost a leg in an accident, we may not regrow his leg but a prosthesis / artificial leg can make them walk better with that half a leg they have. So I would suggest you to contact your doctor and discuss treatment options you have.There are many medical options and there are machines like C-PAP etc which can wash out carbon dioxide from the body and make oxygen better. I would suggest you not to refuce treatment it may not improve your lung condition but will help you perform better with the same lungs.

I hope that cleared things smile emoticon

If there are more queries feel free to ask .

Wish you the best of health.
Regards.
Dr.Muhammad Ahmad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 24 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX It helps to just "talk" about ipf! The dr. is
scheduling more breathing tests for snoring, night time breathing etc.
I liked your analgy if loosing a leg and if this is just part of being 81 I will
pursue better ways to cope . thank you,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for you kind words

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your kind words. its always an easy discussion if one understands the condition they are having. In your case yes one can't regrow your lung like i said about a chopped off leg..but yes one can make life easier using medical aids..after all they are for our benefit .

Stay blessed.
Hopefully your test report will come up to be really satisfactory.
Wish you all the best.

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad
Dr. Muhammad Ahmad