Suggest treatment for low haemoglobin level in the blood

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I'm at er and my hemoglobin is 8.3 should I be concerned...what can I do?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

A low hemoglobin count is a commonly seen blood test result. In many cases, a low hemoglobin count is only slightly lower than normal and doesn't affect how you feel. If it gets more severe and causes symptoms, your low hemoglobin count may indicate you have anemia.
You should be concerned when you have symtopms like
1-Fatigue
2-Weakness
3-Pale skin and gums
4-Shortness of breath
5-A fast or irregular heartbeat

Hope this healp you.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 4 minutes later
I have most those symptoms and have had iron deficiency anemia for many years. I've had iron infusions and blood transfusions but just found out after several tests that it's just from heavy menstrating which I've been doing the past two weeks. my question is should I be concerned if I don't get a blood transfusion or do I even need one
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In my opinion if the hematocrit is too low and you are symptomatic it is better to have a blood transfusion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng