• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low grade fever

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had a low-grade fever (99.5 to 101.9) for over a week. I am light headed (the type of light headedness you get from fever). I have a headache on the left side. I am very easily exhausted and weak in my legs (2 weeks ago I was climbing two flights of stairs at work, now I struggle with 7 steps in our split entry home). Two days ago I noticed red spots on my feet and lower legs (purpura?) not itchy or painful. I have some discomfort (not pain) in my upper belly, and it's hard to breathe.
On the 4th day of my fever I went to my clinic, they ran blood work and said the results were normal over all. Any suggestions that I can bring up to my doctor? Or should I find a clinic that isn't afraid to order diagnostic tests? I have lost 5 days of work. I'm at my wits end. Thank you! XXXXXXX S.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is probably a viral infection!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

This is probably a viral infection. I wouldn't be advocating for further investigations at this time. I understand your frustration but undertaking further aggressive workup that would be of little added values is not the best course of action now.

I recommend Tylenol 1000mg every 8hours for at least 48hours to break the fever and hep with the muscle pain. Rest, much fluids and fruits as well as regular tolerable exercise is highly advised as well.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 20 hours later
Okay, thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

Am humbled by your kind words. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah