Suggest treatment for low grade fever and muscle aches

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking Amoxicillin for 9 days and have had a low grade fever (around 99 degrees) and muscle aches for a few days now. Should I continue to take the Amoxicillin?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do you still have symptoms of sinus infection?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

1. The duration of treatment is determined at the time it is initiated. For how long did your doctor recommend that you take this drug ? I will suggest that you stick to it. However, 9 days is largely sufficient to treat any uncomplicated sinus infection. Because I cannot tell exactly what the nature of the infection was, I'd suggest that you continue the drugs and check with your treating doctor.

2. 99 degrees is not a fever. It must be more than 99.5 Degree Fahrenheit for us to think that it is fever. I will suggest that you switch Motrin to Tylenol and take 650mg every 8hours (after food) to control the aches and fever.

I hope this guides you and helps. I wish you well.
Feel free to follow up with me if there is anything that seems not clear to you.
If you also require more details or feel I didn’t touch on something, kindly get back to me.

Kind regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee