Suggest treatment for low ejection fraction in an elderly person

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear sir,
I want to ask that my grandmother is 75 year old and her heart is functioning 28% only. what are the risk factors and treatment? Please suggest me any way to over come from this problem. Please reply ASAP.

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
need further investigations as well as clinical evaluation if not done already..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern for your grandmother..

First of all, please let me know the complete details regarding your grandmother's health which will help me to guide you in a more specific way..

Since you've mentioned 28% of heart functioning (I believe your referring the Ejection fraction here), please share the complete Echocardiography report, you can simply upload them at the reports section or you can even email them to YYYY@YYYY and keep the subject as ATTN:Dr Arnab and I'll receive them..

Please let me know what all other investigations were done apart from these and how were the reports(upload them too if your having them)..

What led to investigate for these (what were the initial problems) ?

Did your grandmother have any previous cardiac ailment/hypertension/diabetes or any other medical concern ?

Was she on any medication for any specific condition ?

How is her present health status ? Is she at home or in hospital ? What all treatment is she receiving ?

Dear, please note that risk factors vary from person to person, based on their past/present health status, how the body reacts to the disease process as well as to medications and interventions, so a complete assessment is necessary to analyse them (even the age of 75 yrs itself is among one of the risk factors)..

Now the primary cause of poor cardiac function is needed to be diagnosed in the first place, which will initiate proper management and further interventions (if necessary)..

Please let me know all these details , so that I can help you with this specifically..

Awaiting your detailed reply..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 21 hours later
Sir as you want I Am sending reports that we got done. But her cought is not stopped yet. Plz suggest what we can do. And if possible kindly provide your phone number so that I can explain condition and situation better.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
she needs hospitalization and thorough work-ups without further delay..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending those images, I've reviewed them in details,

Dear the Echocardiography was only half visible, so i couldn't make anything out of it..

Other than that, from her CBC reports, it seems like infection (neutrophilic leucocytosis) and the most probable focus is in the lungs only..

Those nodular opacities, multiple enlarged lymph nodes in the CT chest must need to examined in details by a Pulmonologist to rule out infection or any other primary focus..

There's several changes in the ECG, which may be attributed to the pressure effects in the cardiac chambers(couldn't comment in details without the proper history, examining her clinically as well as few relevant investigations)..

However this has to be evaluated in details by a Cardiologist as there's an element of prominent pulmonary vasculature (cardiogenic vs non-cardiogenic causes of pulmonary edema is essential to be investigated and treated accordingly)..

So far what I've made out from them is the probable causes for the cough, breathing difficulty are a cumulative element of heart failure (?cause) complicated by a secondary infective source and several metabolic disturbances..

So a thorough systematic investigations, physical examination is necessary for further management.. This cannot be done at home, so you need to hospitalize her without any further delay and let them at first assess completely for the probable causes and further investigations as per the findings, as well as appropriate management systematically..

No dear, we don't service any requests for appointments /phone consultation at this point of time.. We only provide online medical advice. I've informed the customer care team regarding this, they'll look in to it for further development..

Please let me know how she stays later on..any further queries you need, just feel free to discuss with me any time, I'll be glad to guide further..

Take Care
Kind Regards