Suggest treatment for low blood pressure, chronic fatigue and shortness of breath

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife's blood pressure is 105 over 41 and her pulse is 90 beats per minute. She's tired all the time and is out of breath when she does any kind of light activity. The low blood pressure and lack of energy is fairly recent. Currently, she's sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day. About 2 months ago, she recently stopped taking her Adderal(20mg twice a day) cold turkey. She also doesn't have much of an appetite.There is currently no pain involved.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that her actual blood pressure values are low.

Low blood pressure could be related to her actual anti-hypertensive therapy. From the other hand stopping Adderal has also contributed to low blood pressure values (as Adderal usually raises blood pressure values).

Chronic fatigue and shortness of breath could be explained with low blood pressure.

Coming to this point, I would recommend discussing with her doctor on the possibility of making some changes to her actual anti-hypertensive therapy (reduce the dose or stop taking them), as long as her blood pressure values are low.

If this situation persists, despite the changes in the anti-hypertensive therapy, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for other possible causes that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for electrolyte imbalance
- fasting glucose
- kidney and liver function tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal, whenever you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri