question-icon

Suggest treatment for low blood platelets

Posted on Thu, 24 Jul 2014
Question: looking for something to help my wife's low blood platelets,,, she has auto immune hepatitis and takes a drug called immuran , and the her doctor said thats way, is there any supplements she can take to help
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Corticosteroids

Detailed Answer:

Imuran contains Azathioprine, commonest side effect of the same is low counts of all blood cells, in some isolated platelet count can be seen reduced.

The best remedy for the same with good result is with a course of corticosteroids like Prednisolone. This can improve the platelet count and also reduce the immunity which is essential in condition like autoimmune hepatitis.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Dr. Raju A.T