Suggest treatment for low blood platelet levels

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My father in law is admitted to hospital. His peletlet level is going down every four days and he is having problem in lungs. Biopsy is negative, Dengu is negative. I am confused now what to do as we are giving peletlet third time. Can you advise me what can be reason.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, XXXX,
Thanks for posting the query,
There are so many causes to list which causes reduced platelets.

Immune thrombocytopenia.
Bacteria in the blood.
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
Hemolytic uremic syndrome
Leukemia
Some types of anemia
Viral infections, such as hepatitis C or HIV
Chemotherapy drugs
Heavy alcohol consumption.

In your father in law it is due to the infection which he is suffering from is causing the reduced platelets.

It'll take time as his age factor also should be taken in to consideration.

Get the cultures of the blood and see what is the cause of the infection.

Any issues do follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng