Suggest treatment for low appetite, runny nose, cough and fever in a child

Question
My 2 year old son is sick. He has a low appetite. He has a runny nose (clear) and a cough. He runs a low temperature around 85-100 degrees. Can you let me know if he needs a doctor visit/medicine or if we should just give him liquids and soup and nurse him back to help.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
should be ok at home

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can be a bit nerve racking when seeing our kids sick but in the majority of cases, the illness is minor and can be managed at home.

Based on the symptoms mentioned, he likely has a viral illness. This is the most common reason for runny nose and cough. It would also cause a fever and loss of appetite.

Fluids are fine and can be continued. Normal saline drops/spray or otrivine drops would help with nasal congestion.
Decongestant rubs may also help as well.

His appetite will improve as his illness resolves but it is important that he drinks even if he uses small amount at a time.

If he is in any pain eg sorethroat or headache then paracetamol can help. The dose has to be appropriate for his weight. Cold or cool foods/drink instead of warm, would also be helpful if his throat is sore

If you remain concerned or he worsens then you should have him assessed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions