• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low BP

Posted on Thu, 16 Oct 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband is 78 years old, and is on Peritoneal Dialisys. For years he had high blood pressure, now it seems to be lower than it should be. It is averaging anywhere from 70/56/69 to 103/70/66. I have asked if this is due to the dialisis, and no one can actually tell me. He is eating less because of loss of appetite, and is watching his sodium. My question is, can this be just as dangerous as high blood pressure? Especially, since he seems to be having side effects of the low blood pressure; lethargic, dizzy, etc.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, hypotension is equally dangerous.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Hypo-tension or low blood pressure is equally or more dangerous than hypertension. It is seen in more than 10% of patients on peritoneal dialysis.
2. Systolic less than 100 or diastolic less than 50 is dangerous. Even 90/40 is tolerable, but with symptoms of dizziness, it becomes critical, as risk of fall and reduced brain and heart oxygenation (chronic ischemia or low blood supply) is present.
3. Hypotension in peritoneal dialysis is commonly due to hypovolemia (low overall blood volume), or congestive cardiac failure (due to previous hypertension) or increased dose of anti-hypertensive medications.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist