• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low BP

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been treated for high blood pressure for years.I have been taking carvedilol 25mg 2xaday and 2xaday lisinopril 20s.Just lately I have had bp approx.94/54 for a few hours at a time. I am not taking any lisinopril lately. What can I do to raise the bp and how dangerous is this
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over correction of blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

According to the new JNC 2014 guidelines in patients above 60 years of age the blood pressure goal is less than 150/90, so clearly your blood pressure has been over corrected.
Over correction of blood pressure makes you more prone for
1. Giddiness
2. Stroke
3. Heart attack
4. Numbness and cold peripheries

Here is what you should do
1. I advice you to take carvedilol once in the morning and lisinopril once at night
2. In case of fall in blood pressure, lie down flat on the bed with leg end elevated.
3. Drink plenty of fluids as this will alone increase in blood pressure
4. Continue being on a low salt diet

Please re visit your doctor for re adjustment of the the BP medications

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 hours later
How low can blood pressure be before it is dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypotension

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Any blood pressure below 90/60 mmhg is considered dangerous. However in a known hypertensive any blood pressure below 100/70 is considered dangerous. The most common symptom of low blood pressure is giddiness, chest pain and palpitations. Low blood pressure pre disposes one to strokes and heart attacks.
Please follow my previous advice and also let me know your latest recording of blood pressure.

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist