Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for low BP with history of orthostatic hypotension

Answered by
Dr. Sukhvinder Singh


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 1306 Questions

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Started Losartan Potassium about over week ago at 25mg /day than increased to 50 per day, one day ago. Not controlling BP. I have orthostatic hypotension with supine hypertension so need help at night that doesn't carryover to next day with low BP. I tried valsartan 40mg per day by second day my p was to low. Shall I continue losartan 50mg per day or try valsartan again at a lower dose maybe 20 mg?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam
If you have supine hypertension with orthostatic hypotension, first of all get evaluated for a possible cause of OH, preferably by a neurologist. Only after work up of OH, hypertension can be tackled properly.
There are a number of medicines which are short acting but I could not get why do you want a shirt acting drug. We need to control BP for 24 hours and fluctuation with short acting drugs will be more. Do not change any drug without consulting real time physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Losartan potassium

doctor1 MD

Hello, Doctor, For the past couple of months, I have had loose bowel movements, sometimes twice a day. Sometimes it's come on quickly, and I'm glad I'm at home! I wonder if it has anything to do with medications. I take 10 mg Rosuvastatin for...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 57 year old female with minor cataracts in both eyes. I was advised to wait till the cataracts mature for surgery. I have short-sightedness (myopia). However, I now use low-level glasses for reading. I have hypertension and take 50 mg of...

doctor1 MD

I wanted to find out if Cozaar- Losartan Potassium chemical makeup containing Potassium salts be an irritant to the mucous membranes that line the stomach after it is dispersed in the digestive tract? I read that this drug can cause Gastritis in 5...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 57. In morning blood pressure (BP) reading at 158/102, after seat down for 3 min, BP read at 140/95. After excercise by running in door, BP read 134/84. I am taking Losartan Potassium 100mg and Amloodipine Desylate 5mg. Is my BP OK . I also have heartburn lately, is that side effect of this medicine.

doctor1 MD

I am a Hypotension patient of 46 years, I use Losartan Potassium/Hydrochlorothiazide 62.5mg and Atorvastatin 10mg on daily at night. Last night I had some alcohol (about 100-150 ml of brandy) before dinner. Also I was bit nervous after a argument with my wife. I did not take regular medicine and went to bed. At around 3 am I work up with a shiver and my mussels on left chest was shivering and felt hart was pumping hard with sound and my body was cold. My pulse was very high. I took one Losartain and a aspirin immediately (room temperature also was around 24C) I had to warm up the room and with a pullover and warm by body about an hour to make feel warm. When I feel warm the shivering feeling at heart became normal, even this morning I feel it bit uncomfortable. Is that heart shivering I felt or is it a hear failure? How serious I should take it..? Should I stop taking alcohol? Your answering may help me to calm down and continue my office work. Thanks you and have a nice day!

doctor1 MD

Have mild/moderate MVP and have been taking Ramipril 2.5mg with adverse effects. Am now trying Losartan Potassium 50mg and am concerned that on the leaflet with the drug comes a warning to tell your doctor (he prescribed) if you have problems with MVP. What does this mean?

doctor1 MD

Hello I’m 27 years old i do not smoke and i do not drink (167 – 80Kilos). I have had severe HBP for about 7 years I was only keen to be treated upon having an organ shutdown 1year ago This made my vital organs Heart Kidney and Liver to swell MY heart is up to 5cm larger as well as having and enlarged liver Liver and kidneys are working fine heart is struggling to pump out I have been taking ramipril 5mg although i was having side effects after a year with red patches on my face Now i am taking 50mg of Losartan Potassium and i am experiencing dizziness light-headedness headache lack of sleep diarrhoea cramping muscles and migraines What can i do is there any alternative medicine i can take?

I procure to eat the rights food to help my symptoms....(artichokes and lots of greens etc..).