Suggest treatment for low BP with history of orthostatic hypotension

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Started Losartan Potassium about over week ago at 25mg /day than increased to 50 per day, one day ago. Not controlling BP. I have orthostatic hypotension with supine hypertension so need help at night that doesn't carryover to next day with low BP. I tried valsartan 40mg per day by second day my p was to low. Shall I continue losartan 50mg per day or try valsartan again at a lower dose maybe 20 mg?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam
If you have supine hypertension with orthostatic hypotension, first of all get evaluated for a possible cause of OH, preferably by a neurologist. Only after work up of OH, hypertension can be tackled properly.
There are a number of medicines which are short acting but I could not get why do you want a shirt acting drug. We need to control BP for 24 hours and fluctuation with short acting drugs will be more. Do not change any drug without consulting real time physician.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder