• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low BP and burning sensation in the ears and head

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Although I did have my previous questions answered, I'm still bugged with some of my conditions. Namely my blood pressure is quite low in morning hours Systolic 85-92, diastolic 55-65 and my pulse is about 70-90. I have been using Valerian tincture and few days CBD hemp oil. My pressure normalize later in day and occasionally goes higher than systolic 135-150. Even when my blood results are within guidelines I do have strange burning in my ears, side of cheeks, head and neck. I do take 1-2 Alprazolam 0.25 mg. at that seems to help little but not grat deal. I have strange feeling of racing/irregular heart beat but when I measure pressure it seems ok. As I'm waiting for while to see neurologist, should be on Monday 07/03/17, my concern is if I need to be alarmed with all this that I just have described.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to get alarmed.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, there is no concern of any serious neurological/other disease. Low blood pressure, is fairly normal, unless it is a part of autonomic dysfunction, which does not seem to be the issue. However, if there is a postural fall of blood pressure (fall of more than 20 mmHg systolic or more than 10 mmHg diastolic blood pressure in standing posture as compared to sitting posture).

Irregular heart rate needs to be further evaluated by Holter monitoring to exclude any cardiac arrhythmia.

Burning sensation needs to be evaluated. It could be neuropathic pain, and can be treated with medications.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX thank you very much for your opinion.
You pinpointed something that I have not fully disclosed to you earlier and that is with my head and ears and cheeks burning I genereally get also simulataneous burning in my toes/feet. Need to say that I had neuropathy dignosed (not related to diabetes) like 2 years ago. I have mentioned that to several doctors here but that was dismissed as unlikely reason. So, question still remains is the neuropathy that is causing my problems or possibly something else. I did wear holter monitor for 3 weeks and no arrythmia was recorded. I did have 2 attacks of faster hearth rate episodes about 7 months ago and cordiologist thinks that I have atrial flutter. Used meds. for that reason and had many side effects. Stopped using these medications several times in last 3 months and no flutter occured in mean time. Am I correct to assume that possibly my flutter/faster hearth rate was due to anxiety and or neuropathy. Can you please re-evaluate this as I'm kind in one way street here. Thank you so very much. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathy is the most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back and providing more information.

Yes, your symptoms of burning are most likely due to neuropathy. Other than diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency, thyroid disorders and vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) are common causes of neuropathy. These conditions can be excluded with blood tests. Neuropathy itself can be confirmed by doing nerve conduction studies (NCV).

Glad to note that your Holter was normal. In this cases, irregular heart rate could be due to anxiety.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
I am very thankful for your thoughts and suggestions. This will help me a graet deal to resolve my situation. Wish you all the best in your practice.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,

I would be pleased to be of help in future too.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist