• question-icon

Suggest treatment for loss of interest and concentration despite having Vyvanse

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Sure. I just received Vyvanse for my ADD. I'm not reacting well to do. I feel very unmotivated and unfocused, even more so than when I'm not on medication. Is this normal? How long should I give it before I speak to my live doctor?
Thank you. Do you think I should change to Adderall XR? I used to take that in the past and didn't have the same reaction to it at all. Or would you continue with the Vyvanse for the next 2 weeks and then re-evaluate
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

You describe an unmotivated and unfocused reaction to a newly-started medication, Vyvanse. The reaction you describe is rare, but does occur in about 1% of patients taking this medication. People can experience depression, loss of motivation, worsened focus -- overall, it's referred to as a "paradoxical reaction," because your body is responding in an opposite way to the expected effect. Typically, paradoxical reactions to psychotropics medications including Vyvanse will go away within a week or two after starting the medication. If these symptoms persist beyond 2 weeks, I would stop the medication and try something else.
I would probably continue to give Vyvanse a try. Wait a couple weeks, and if you're still having a negative reaction, Adderall XR is a perfectly fine medicine for ADHD, and would be safe and effective to return to if needed.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist