Suggest treatment for loose stools

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I stopped eating starchy carbs for four weeks, but reintroduced bread yesterday. Had very loose stools within half an hour. Is there a reason?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sudden introduction of carbohydrates

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

yes the diarrhea you are experiencing is due to sudden introduction of carbohydrates. you may also experience bloating , hypotension and hypoglycemia. you need to reintroduce carbohydrates into your diet in a gradually increasing manner. this mean that you start with small amounts and increase gradually.

I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 6 minutes later
It was only ONE slice of wholemeal bread
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stool analysis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, if you did not eat much carbohydrates then it might not be the cause of the diarrhea . you might has an gastrointestinal inflammation or infection. you can take an antidiarrheal as sterptoquine and get a stool analysis to find out what is causing diarrhea. In the mean while , make sure you take adequate amounts of fluids to avoid dehydration ( at least 8 cups daily) . I hope you find that helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad