Suggest treatment for loose stool and vomiting

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is 4 years and has been running very loose stools and vomiting since 2 days. He had fever upto 101F on day 1 which has now subsided. Loose stools too hv reduced (now about thrice a day) but vomiting has increased. He's throwing up anything he eats or drinks. We hv given him enterogermina as well as Nutrolin B for loose stools. And Ondem for vomiting. However doesn't seem to be helping much. Pls suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If vomiting is not controlled with oral medication,injection will be needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The most common cause of vomiting and loose stool in this age is viral infection.
Ondem contains ondensetron.If vomiting is not controlled with oral medication,he may need an injectable dose of antiemetic(ondem).

Due to the vomiting it might be a possibility that medicine(ondem) is not working.Once vomiting gets controlled with intravenous/intramuscular antiemetic oral medication will help thereafter.

Another option is to increase the dose of ondem if it is possible or addition of other antiemetic like metoclopramide(its action is different from ondensetron).

Repeated vomiting may cause dehydration so I would suggest you to consult your doctor for injectable medication/increasing the dose/addition of another antiemetic whichever is feasible.

Please do ask if you have any more doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
We took him to a doctor and the doctor has suggested continuing Ondem along with an antibiotic Cefixime Oral Suspension Taxim-O. His stools were little green in color. Would this be because of an infection? Viral or bacterial? What could have caused the infection? The only thing we can recollect is that he had some fresh lychees on Thursday and he has been going for swimming classes for 2 weeks now
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To me it appears to be viral gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up

An episode of loose stools and vomiting initially associated with fever and subsidence of fever/improvement in loose stool without any antibiotic is suggestive of viral infection.
You have mentioned that he ate lychees,but if the culprit would have been lychee(due to allergy to lychee)there should be no fever.

Whenever there is increased frequency of stool the color of stool may turn to green irrespective of the cause.This is due to rapid intestinal movement and thus less time to get the pigments converted from green to yellowish brown.

I would suggest you to give zinc also as it helps in early recovery.

Keep him hydrated well with plenty of fluids.
Wish him speedy recovery
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology