Suggest treatment for loose motions

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having loose motion from today morning, please advise what i should do.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of fluids

Detailed Answer:

In this instance I would start econorm(Saccharomyces boulardii ) sachets which you can mix in glass of water and drink it 3-4 times a day. These are over the counter medicine. Along with it you can take oral rehydration solution(ORS) and plenty of fluids to remain hydrated.

Use of antimotility drugs (antidiarrheal) are not always safe and I wouldn't recommend you to take it unless the frequency of stools is more than 6-8 episodes. Do not use over the counter medicines to stop loose stools.

You can take probiotics including yogurt after food. Drink plenty of fluids like coconut water ,lemon juice to maintain well hydration. Avoid spicy,oily food.
If your loose motions persist or you will not improve after 24 hours I would suggest you need visit a doctor for investigation like blood and stool tests.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad