Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for loose motions

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 492 Questions
I am having loose motion from today morning, please advise what i should do.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of fluids

Detailed Answer:

In this instance I would start econorm(Saccharomyces boulardii ) sachets which you can mix in glass of water and drink it 3-4 times a day. These are over the counter medicine. Along with it you can take oral rehydration solution(ORS) and plenty of fluids to remain hydrated.

Use of antimotility drugs (antidiarrheal) are not always safe and I wouldn't recommend you to take it unless the frequency of stools is more than 6-8 episodes. Do not use over the counter medicines to stop loose stools.

You can take probiotics including yogurt after food. Drink plenty of fluids like coconut water ,lemon juice to maintain well hydration. Avoid spicy,oily food.
If your loose motions persist or you will not improve after 24 hours I would suggest you need visit a doctor for investigation like blood and stool tests.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor