Suggest treatment for loose motion

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: how to stop loose motion
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Modify diet; take the medicines as advised

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Loose motion or diarrhea is a very common gastrointestinal problem encountered. Most of the time, the cause is food poisoning or indigestion giving rise to multiple loose stools. If a patient comes to me with such problems, I generally advise the following-

Modify diet. Take soft bland diet for 3 days, then non spicy non-fatty diet full of dietary fibers for 7 more days.
Take loads of water.
ORS solution to take mixed with water if there is profuse loose stools. This replenishes the lost fluid and electrolytes.
Antibiotics like ofloxacin-ornidazole for 5 days.
Loperamide if there is multiple loose stools.

You can consult your treating or family doctor about the above and get them prescribed. You can take lomotil in place of loperamide too. It has got good efficacy also.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T