Suggest treatment for liver hemangioma

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Diagnosed with 9 cm liver hemangioma. Also have afib and taking xarelto. In past few weeks can feel some pain in side. Could xarelto be "feeding" hemangioma
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 minutes later
This is a risk. I would speak to your doctor about it to weigh risks and benefits. Probably the risk of stroke outweighs risk of bleed but this is not certain. For a more personalized comprehensive evaluation and answer, ask me on HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 30 minutes later
Do u mean that xarelto is a risk because of hemangioma. What might happen with hemangioma from xarelto?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up question.

Hemangiomas are often benign entities commonly found in the liver, often accidentally discovered during ultrasounds or CT scans of the abdomen. That said, 9cm is rather large. The risk of Xarelto, or indeed any blood thinner, is that if there were any trauma to this area or bursting of the hemangioma, you would bleed more rapidly which could be highly dangerous or even lethal.

However, I will say that since you have Afib, you will very very likely need some kind of blood thinner to prevent stroke. Afib can lead to clots in the heart that can travel to the brain and cause strokes, and blood thinners help prevent formation of these clots. The benefit of Xarelto probably outweighs the risk of hemangioma bleeding, so you should continue it.

This could be a complicated question depending on the rest of your health and other medications. For a more comprehensive evaluation and answer, ask me on HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D