Suggest treatment for liver cirrhosis caused by alcoholism

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My best friend has been diagnosed with cirrhosis from alcoholism. Is there a treatment for this disease? She is 62 years old and has been a heavy drinker since her late teens. Is there any cure for this disease?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No cure ,only liver transplant

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for posting your question here and welcome back .

Unfortunately there is no treatment that will cure definitely Cirrosis , the only option is liver transplant . Cirrosis is an end stage condition where the liver is damaged and we can not do nothing to cure the liver.
Meanwhile she waits for the transplant she should do the treatment ;against the symptoms, to slow the profession of the dissease and complication of this dissease.
A gastroenterologist doctor should take care for all the treatment according to the symptoms she has and discuss for a possible transplant.

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications I will be happy to help.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy