Suggest treatment for liver cancer

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: My cousin has liver cancer that is 7 cm and confined to the liver. The only treatment recommended is chemotherapy. She will undergo chemotherapy twice a week for 6 hours each day every other week. Surgery was not offered as an option. Will this treatment cure the cancer?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to know few more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am sorry to know about your cousin.

You have mentioned that it is liver cancer but in primary liver cancer chemo is usually not given. Is it a spread from other site like colon? If you can upload the scan reports (report only, not film or CD) and biopsy reports then I can suggest better.

If it is only liver limited, then after chemo, we can think of local ablative procedures like transarterial chemoembolization (TACE). But these procedures are palliative and given only for disease control. These are not curative.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow-up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Thanks for the quick response. I need to contact XXXXXXX and will get back to you. She is undergoing a procedure this morning that involves putting a catheter in her neck. I don't know anything else about it or what it is used for.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ok

Detailed Answer:
This procedure is probably a chemoport insertion. It will be used for delivering chemo.