Suggest treatment for lipomas in the body

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have lipomas in my body (approx. 14-15 nos.). Larger sizes are aesthetically visible, but not painful. On discussion with physician I came to know, it doesn't have established medication to cure, they are also not harmful in general. But the problem is I noticed few more tiny lipomas are appearing, I don't know how to curb them, if it continues. Any suggestion on further course of action in this regard would be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need of any treatment , surgical excision only for cosmetic purpose

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM
I had gone through your history and i can understand your concern.

No need of any treatment for lipomas. If required you can under go surgical exicision only for cosmetic purpose. Lipomas aren't cancer and don't turn into cancer.

For confirmation you can get done FNAC /Excision biopsy of Lipoma

Cause for this Lipoma is unknown, sometimes this is an inherited condition and may be triggered by soft tissue injuries.

There is no prevention for the newer lipomas

but few studies says you can reduce the risk by cutting down your fat intake in your diet. Eating less or without fats can help prevent the growth of fat tissues says Try to replace fatty foods with fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods and those with artificial flavorings.

I hope i have cleared your query

Dr Priyanka G Raj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng