Suggest treatment for lipomas in lower back

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: Dear Sir / Madam,

I am having few Lipomas in my lower back and I need to get it removed as I am feeling pain in my lower back. It seems the pain in my back is due to these Lipomas. Can you pls suggest me -
1. What are the technologies or treatment available to remove or cure Lipomas.
2. If the only option is to get it operated than can you pls suggest me good doctor in XXXXXXX Also typically how much time does it take to recover after operation.
3. Also can you pls tell me what is normal cost of operating 1 Lipoma.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Lipomas are growth of the fatty tissue in an area and are usually non cancerous. The treatment would be surgical excision, Liposuction or injection lipolysis. The treatment would depend on the doctor who will examine you and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

Usually if the lipomas are not bothersome, they would be left alone. As you are having pain due to lipomas, then it needs to be excised.

The lower back pain usually are due to stress, improper posture or lack of exercises. Hope you have got examined yourself by an orthopedician to confirm your back ache is due to lipomas.

Any good General Surgeon in XXXXXXX will help you with the treatment. A single lipoma is usually excised at a time and it would be a day care procedure with a recovery time of a day.

The cost of the surgery depends on the doctor and the center you opt for. If the doctor plans for a excision under local anaesthesia it might be under Rs 10,000 but if he thinks to do it under general anaesthesia it might range from Rs 20 - 30,000.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, we will happy to help you.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju