Suggest treatment for ligament injury

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor, my husband had a knee injury 15 days back ,when he did X-RAY it was showing nothing but after 3-4 days his MRI report showed ACL damaged and LCL tear. I would like to know what are the treatment options available for this other then surgery.. can we go for physiotherapy.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the thickness of tear.

Detailed Answer:
The treatment of a ligament tear depends on the extent of tear. If the tear is a partial thickness tear then it can heal with rest and knee brace. The physiotherapy is needed once the tear has healed to some extent. If it is a more than partial thickness tear then surgical treatment is the best option as it is associated with early recovery and full knee movement can be regained with lesser physiotherapy. Do consult his orthopedician to plan the best treatment option for him.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad