Suggest treatment for lichen planus

Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor - I have been suffering from Lichen Planus since 10 years now.
but now they are not active as compared to earlier, but there are few spots on my ankle on both of my legs which are still active and itch a lot., these lesions are tiny and look very ugly.
I want to get rid of the itchiness on this active lesions and also pls. suggest an ointment which would fade the marks which are not active. pls. help.

Thanks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kindly attach pics

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome to healthcaremagic.
I have read your query and understood your concern.

Lichen planus is a condition of skin which is highly itchy and has high chances of recurrence and relapse of the lesions.

In case now lesion arise, I usually advice my patients a course of dapsone after ruling out contraindications for 5-6 months.

For raised lesions, moderate to strong potency topical steroids with or without salicylic acid are advised.
For marks also, treatment is available.
But before that, I would like to visualize them so that I can help you to my best.

Also don't scratch the lesions, else they will Increase. For itch, you may take tab levocetrizine or fexofenadine night time.

Kindly get back to me with pics .

stay healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 24 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
topical moderate potency steroid and antihistamini

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome again.
I have seen the attached pics. Thanks for attaching the same.

There are two types of lesions: the lesions of lichen.planus and left over marks of lichen planus,.

For the first type , you may apply moderate potency topical steroid cream like mometasone twice daily.
for second type, you may use combination cream like triglow or clearz XXXXXXX cream in night time for around 2 weeks.
You may take antihistaminics as I already mentioned for symptomatic relief.

I hope it helps.
If you have any further query you may ask me.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 7 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.

I shall let you know after 2 weeks on the condition.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
always welcome

Detailed Answer:
Ya sure , get back to me after 2 weeks.
We are always here to help you
good luck.