Suggest treatment for lichen planus pigmentosus

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 2 Jan 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have lichen Plans pigmentousis, for an year, initially i had the scars n forams, toes and shoulders, now for the past 4 months my entire face got marks and it looks awful and i am feeling very less in confdence to face others, my age is 40 and i am a retail store manager.
i am taking homeopathic medicine for 3 months from batras..apart from that any solution for removing my scars atleast from my face..kindly help me out.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Homeopathic medicines are not medicines, will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.

Thank you for writing in with your health concern.

I understand your frustration and your pain.

I am sorry to inform you that homeopathy is pseudoscience, just a few days ago the US government made it mandatory for homeopathic formulations to clearly display on their containers that there is no scientific evidence that these formulations work, there is more and more evidence mounting up against pseudoscience such as homeopathy.

Coming to how to go about managing this condition....

1. Lichen planus pigmentosus is a rare variety of lichen planus.

So the treatment principles are same as that of lichen planus as the disease is same only the manifestation is a little different.

The most important factor in treatment is an accurate diagnosis.

Lichen Planus is an autoimmune disorder and is usually self limiting, meaning, it generally does not require medication.

In severe cases, a topical steroid application is sufficient and if needed, UV-A treatment can also be used.

However, considering the pigmentation, retinoids will be helpful.

You will need to consult a qualified dermatalogist (MD in dermatology) and get yourself examined and get the appropriate treatment.

Trust me, both pigmentation and the disease itself can be very well controlled with minimal medications, so do not worry, go to a skin specialist and get the correct treatment.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to write back to me if you have any doubts.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 17 hours later
Thank you for your clarification doc, is there any food steps i have to follow and kindly help me out proper cream or lotion for face scars..

I am living in XXXXXXX can you suggest good md(dermatology) in XXXXXXX if you know personally any doc in XXXXXXX

what about the side effects in taking the medicine, i m confused totally
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid sun exposure, amla oil, mustard oil. Consult Dermatologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thank you for writing back.

I am sorry to inform you that I do not know any dermatologist personally from XXXXXXX

But I can advice you to consult skin specialists at Madras Medical College in XXXXXXX

Although nodeļ¬nite link is established, mustard oil, amla oil, XXXXXXX and hair XXXXXXX could be the precipitating factors in predisposed individuals and sunlight is also considered as a precipitating factor.

So avoid all these.

All medicines have some minor side effects, but the benefits far outweigh the risk. Your doctors always consider these risks and benefits while prescribing you the medicines and will also explain everything, do not worry.

Even the air you breath can have side effects, if you breath in 100% oxygen, then also you can die, everything has a limit, so the medicines that will be prescribed should be taken within those limits, then they will have negligible harm.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 19 hours later
thank you doctor...
i hope my skin disorder will clear and i can regain my confidence very soon..thanks

before that my final doubt..
can i take detoxification kit from natures sunshine website..or anything similar you suggest me, please it will be a great helpful, good day
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't fall for such scams, they are useless. Regular exercise.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXX,

I am sorry to disappoint you again, the detoxification kits have never been proved to be anything more than marketing gimmicks employed by pseudoscientific snake oil peddlers.

Your body is quite capable of detoxifying itself.

All you need is, regular and healthy diet, regular exercise - 30 to 45 minutes per day, at least 5 days a week.

Do not eat too much red meat.

Do not smoke.

Do not drink too much.

Avoid fatty foods.

Avoid junk foods and aerated drinks.

Do not consume too much sugar.

Drink 2.5 liters of water a day and more in summers.

No proper clinical trail has ever shown these detoxifying kits be any more beneficial than drinking adequate amounts of water.

I hope this clarifies things further.

All the best.