Suggest treatment for lichen planus pigmentosus

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: helo doctor, i am suffering from lichen planus pigmentosus and very much worried about it cosmetically specialy whether it will proceed over face.i have started treatment. I want to know about its prognosis and sure shot treatment. Can it be cured?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details & picutre of the affected area

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dr XXXXX,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I have gone through your complete query and I am quite empathetic to the problem of lichen planus pigmentosus. In view to help you best I would like to ask you certain important information from your side:

- Since how long you have the problem of lichen planus pigmentosus.

- Is it been conformed by a dermatologist that your condition is lichen planus pigmentosus.

- Have you had taken any medicine in past or are you taking any other medication for skin condition or other than Antioxidents, tacrolimus ointment-0.1%, ointment beclomethasone.

- Any other health problems or any specific points which is important to mention.

Kindly send few good resolution pictures focusing the areas of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 hours later
Sir I have this problem since 4-5 months and was confirmed by dermatologist. I am taking homeopathic treatment along with alopathic one.kindly let me know the prognosis. and how can it be stopped.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sun protection and medications to apply.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting the details along with picture.

Let me tell you certain important points regarding your condition: Our skin is a mutilayered structure. Our skin also contains certain cells which are known as melanocytes. These melanocytes are the cells which regularly produces color/pigment known as melanin in the skin. These are superficially present in the upper skin known as epidermis. These melanocytes can be more active in certain conditions due to unknown causes. Till now we are not able to find the exact cause of the same.

To tell you simply, the pigmentation is due to the over activity of melanocytes in the skin.

The skin is prone for sun damage and it causes over production of melanin in the skin. So in your case sun protection is most important factor.

There are certain medication which helps out in reducing and reducing the pigment in short period of time.

If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed a cream (under dermatological supervision) containing Kojic acid with arbutin and mulberry extract in it. Alternatively Azelaic acid gel can be applied over the affected area of pigmentation. These are one of the best and safest creams to be applied. Apply any of these creams in a very thin layer at night time only so that these should not be visible to naked eye. Apply at night time before sleeping. Sun protection is a must and a proper sun screen should be used.

Diet is also quite important in reducing the pigmentation. Good diet not only helps in renewing the skin better as well as works best to protect our skin. You can eat a lot fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily schedule.

Again to tell you sun protection is the most important factor in prevention of further spread of pigmentation.

I hope these informations will help you in getting rid of pigmentation marks. I will be glad to reply any further queries.

I wish best and early recovery,

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology

Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 58 minutes later
Sir i want to know whether its further spread can be stopped or not??
if yes than what is the treatment for its further spread.Whether the pigmentation can be fully disappear??
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

I completely understand your anxiety and apprehension towards the progress of the disease as well as for the extent of reduction in the same.

In every of the dermatological problem there is grade if involvement according to which we comment on these tow basic things. This can be analysed either incline physical examination or by at least pictures. I again humbly request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can help you best.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY.