Suggest treatment for leg pain

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Child Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

I brought my 3 year old to the playground today . As usual he is jumping everywhere possible . And everytime he jump he will like to jump and fall in a Sit W position. He was jumping a lot today . Awhile later ,he begin to walking with his right foot pointing inward . There was no pain and everything look normal . He still continue to run and jump and sprint and when he did that it was normal. I only notice that when he walked .

I went thru my video clips from many month ago and He certainly walked normal.

So may I know if he had somehow twisted any part of his leg during today's activities or he developed in toeing only now?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Since the child is otherwise active and playful, and since the gait is otherwise steady, I do not suspect any problems. I do not suppose that somehow he has twisted any part of his leg. Rather, the intoeing could be entirely normal. You need not do anything unless he develops any sort of problems.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
May I know if in toeing is develop from birth or it can suddenly develop at the age of 3?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not develop abruptly

Detailed Answer:
Most often in-toeing is congenital. However, it can sometimes develop gradually. But it would not be something developing rapidly and suddenly like a sprain of foot. Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to get him evaluated by an orthopedician. He would be able to evaluate for conditions like Metatarsus Adductus, Tibial Torsion or Femoral Anteversion which can be possible causes of intoeing.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 hours later
Hi ,

Jux to update that I had brought my boy to Teh PD for a physical examination. The doctor did not mention and problems as he was doing normal during the checks. There was no swell and no pain when the doctor pressed . Of cos I'm not too sure as he was yelling to get out of the clinic and struggling to run. The doctor said it is not a result of in toe too.

I would like to describe in details to you again. He is walking on the outer side of the right foot. With his toes curled it. Which is not as in walking inwards that I previously describe . It happened occasionally . But when he run n hop its still normal . Pls advise me
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs clinical examination

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached images. Even apart from the intoeing the presentation of the foot does not look normal. Some amount of spasticity can also be present. I would insist on getting a thorough examination done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj