Suggest treatment for leg pain in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doc,
My son is 8 year old and studing in 2nd std.He is usually complaint about his legs pain.is it due to his growing age or any deficency of vitamins! Please advise and suggest any gud medicine.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to know if the pain involves muscles or bones

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two broad things to consider. The first thing is growing pain. If that is the case the pain would be located around the joints (in the bones just adjoining joints). The other possibility is that he developed an electrolyte imbalance. If that is the case the pain will involve the muscles (like calf muscle) and not the bones. In such a case I would insist you to give him juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and give him plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the fluids and salts.

Medicines will not help in such a condition. However, you can give paracetamol or acetaminophen to the pain.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana