• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for leg pain in a child

Posted on Tue, 21 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
My daughter (4 yrs) since last 3-4 weeks has been complaining of leg pain (some times thigh and many times the knee). He body-weight ratio is normal (Weight 17.7 kg. Height = 108 cm) and she is very active. Just a bit concerned that the complaint is frequent). Currently we are out of XXXXXXX so don't have "easy" access to doctors. Please advise if we should investigate or just advise her to play less.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be growing pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Most probably your child is complaining of growing pains. However other possible causes need to be ruled out. A clinical examination is very important. The exact location of the pain is important. The pain could be at the ends of the long bones, at the joints or in the muscles. It also needs to be checked if there is an extra growth or swelling somewhere. Merely investigations would not help but they may help in corroborating the clinical findings.

I would not suggest restriction of play related activities.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Diptanshu Das


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3821 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

192 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Diptanshu Das
  • Q - Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder

  • Q - What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old

  • Q - What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child

  • Q - What causes swelling in head of an infant?

  • Q - Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child

  • Q - What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for persistent high fever