• question-icon

Suggest treatment for leg pain and varicose veins

Posted on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My mom is 81 yrs. old and has been suffering for a number of years with pain in her legs. It has become more severe over time and is making her unable to function as her legs hurt terribly. She has been to multiple doctors to try to obtain a diagnosis and get help. Finally, one doctor said the valves in some of her veins in her legs were not functioning property. Laser treatment was recommended and they were going to reroute around the bad areas. Then she had an appointment with her cardiologist and he told her not to have the laser treatment unless the pain was absolutely unbearable. He felt of her legs, down close to the ankles and said he did not see any problem. She is currently on generic Warfarin (Jantoven) and a blood pressure medication. Since Friday, the pain has been so bad she is feeling sick from it. What should she do? She is not able to take otc pain medications other than Tylenol and it does not help this.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Varicose veins, requires therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Now, the pain has become absolutely unbearable.
2. Cause does not appear to be arthritis.
3. As it is bilateral, it could be due to varicose veins, due to dysfunctional valves in the veins of the legs.
4. Swelling and pigmentation can occur, and if progressive leads onto the formation of non-healing ulcers.
5. I think, you will need to get a bilateral color doppler of the legs for confirmation and get treatment for varicose veins. As it is easily treatable, need to get it treated.
6. I cannot think of any other diagnosis like deep vein thrombosis or osteoarhtritis at present, based on bilateral history and pain findings.
7. Limb elevation could reduce pain. You can try to keep a pillow below the limbs in lying down position. As she is already on tramadol, and Tylenol, opiod analagesics, under prescription from your doctor maybe necessary. If swelling is present, compression stockings maybe beneficial

Do meet your doctor for color doppler study of both the legs and further management.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist