Suggest treatment for leg pain and muscle cramps at night

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: This is what I had asked last:

I had nocturnal cramps on my left calf 4 years ago. It used to pain for 60 seconds or so and then the pain would go but there would be some kind of swelling on my calf muscle for few days. It is been years since I have had a cramp but I have issues with my leg now. I have seen a doctor who prescribed me UBICAR tablets which I took for around 45 days (as suggested). It don't feel its helped. I still see a difference between two calf muscles as the left one is swollen. I cant run in the gym as it pains, if I dont sleep well, my left calf muscle will pain, I can stand on my right leg for an hour but cant stand even for 2 minutes on my left leg.

The WORST CASE is with my Calcaneus Heel and Achilles tendon. It has a sprain 24/7. Its making my life worst.

This was the Answer given to me:

Detailed Answer:

In the absence of any history of wear & tear or injury, constant calf muscle pain and swelling can be due to:
1. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Vitamin D, Calcium, etc. which interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
2. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
3. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels such as Hypotension.
4. Hormonal imbalance like Hypothyroidism.
5. Lack of adequate hydration, proper nutrition & good sleep.
6. Even emotional factors like stress/tension can lead to such symptoms.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
So, it will be better to consult an orthopaedician & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, you can try these-

To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the bio mechanical problems and reduces pain.
Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

I cant stand on my left leg for more than 30 seconds. I alz have pain in my heel..
I need to know the reason.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be vascular cause.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the heel and the calf like you are having can be due to venous problem or strain and microscopic tears of the muscle fibers or ligaments in the area.
Since the pain is constant it is best to get a few investigations like MRI scan of the affected area and color doppler scan for the vascular supply to the area done.
For temporary relief you can follow the advise given by Dr. XXXXXXX and get a muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Thank you XXXXXXX

I wanted to know what the reason for my doctor to advice me UBICAR. Also sometimes, I feel numbness in my leg.

Where should I get the tests done?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Ubicar is a combination of Ubidecarenone ( Co Q 10) and L-Carnitine. It helps in decreasing the muscle cramps. You can get the above said investigations done after consulting a neurologist or an orthopedician. The numbness in the leg is likely to be nerve related issue.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj