• question-icon

Suggest treatment for leg numbness while having drop attacks

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 68 years old. My legs have given out twice in the past 2 months as I was walking. My legs felt numb and I fell to the floor each time. There was no pain in my back or elsewhere. I am morbidly obese. My lab results were in normal range for sugar and no other results that would indicate a cause for this. I was referred to a Cardiologist and a Neurologist. Haven't seen them yet. What is your most likely diagnosis and course of action.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drop Attacks- Causes Associated

Detailed Answer:
Good evening and thank you very much for using our network to discover answers to your question. There are a tremendous number of possible causes of sudden UNPROVOKED falls.

It is almost impossible to "guess" the right diagnosis based solely upon the given information due to the incredibly vast number of diagnoses. I admit that cardiac and neurological are the MOST COMMONLY discovered causes for these symptoms but there are so many other possible things that need to be checked out that you will need a rather detail oriented and highly committed primary doctor to either perform this type of workup or you will need someone who knows who to send you for a consult opinion.

So here are just a FEW of the more commonly discovered causes of DROP ATTACKS which comprise the workup I institute in patients with these types of falls.
The list that follows is just one that could be drawn up for drop attacks.

Seizures
Superior canal dehiscence syndrome
Verterbrobasilar artery insufficiency (controversial due to lack of evidence)
Migraine
Myoclonic seizure
Autonomic failure
Neurogenic claudication
Spinal cord syrinx
Episodic ataxia
Cardiac disorders
Hypoglycemia (perhaps not in your case since you had your sugar checked)
Hypocalcemia (Low calcium)
Hypomagnesemia (Low magnesium)
Prolonged QT
Psychological stress
Tachycardia
Bradycardia
Cocaine and other illicit drug use
Sick sinus syndrome
Aortic stenosis

Good article you can read:

http://www.neurosymptoms.org/#/drop-attacks/0000

And that's a list you can take to the bank! LOL.....

Your doctor will need to rule out a number of things in order to fully understand what may be going on....

I hope this addresses your concerns and that you'll keep me in mind for future questions regarding these or other neurological/medical issues. If so, I'd appreciate your rating this interaction with a HIGH STAR SCORE and look forward to a few words of feedback. In addition, I'd appreciate your CLOSING THIS QUERY if you're satisfied with my response.

Write to me any time at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional comments, concerns, or to provide status updates if you'd like which I would love to receive from you to see just what has been discovered.

This consult required 82 minutes total time of research, response preparation, and envoy.

Many thanks for using this service to ask your questions. Be well.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist