Suggest treatment for leg muscle cramps

Posted on Mon, 21 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: How to relieve leg muscle cramps. I have a bad muscle cramps on my right legs that won't let me sleep for the past week. It come on at nights only. during the day I am fine. It was on my hip for the past 4 days , mow it has moved to my thigh above the knee. I think it could be my new shoes that I did not wear them today. what should I do. or take. Massaging in the hot tub helps some.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper hydration, hot packs, daily brisk walking, warm up before working ou

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Usually muscle cramps tend to occur in those persons who are dehydrated, have any mineral or vitamin imbalance.

Also fatigue, excess caffeine and energy drink consumption, smoking and drinking alcohol can cause the same.

I advise you to keep well hydrated. If you do regular exercising, kindly do a good warm up exercise first for about 15 minutes before actually starting your workout. Drink supplement drinks like Gatorade during the workout to replenish the nutrients which are lost in the sweat.

Apply hot packs to the painful regions. Keep the limbs elevated. Take Levocartnitine tablets one a day for a month to help with the spasms. Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Walk daily briskly for about 45 minutes to help prevent further cramps. Take plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.

I would treat this problem of night cramping with aforementioned measures. If you don't get better over the course of this month, you may be evaluated for other causes.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon