Suggest treatment for leg cramps post a hysterectomy

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i had a radical hysterectomy Monday and today i started having severe leg cramps and my calf and foot are very notiably swollen...and they also put stints in my tubes from my kidney to my bladder and i have a cathater in
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please contact your health care provider immediately.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

In the current scenario, I would ask you to inform your health care provider immediately. The cramps could be due to immobilization and so is the edema; yet, severe cramps raise the suspicion of some venous thrombosis, thrombitis with a possible chance of embolization. Swelling, which you have described, goes more in favor of a superior obstruction.

See if you get relief with rest, foot end elevation, applying ice packs and an analgesic while you get proper medical attention.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana