Suggest treatment for leg cramps during the night

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Night time leg cramps, comes unexpectedly:especially if legs are tired. May interrupt sleep.
Cause?
Prevention?
Cure?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Leg cramps especially during the night are caused by Magnesium and Potassium deficiency. This is more possible if you also drink a lot of coffee.
The other possibility is veins insufficiency. This condition also causes leg swelling especially when standing for a long time.
I suggest you to start with Magnesium and Potassium supplementation. If this wont help, please have veins Dopplers ultrasound to see veins condition.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.