Suggest treatment for left sided lower back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am experiencing pain in the left side of my lower back radiating down my leg in thigh and sometimes
in my shin. What could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
spondylottic changes in the spine

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the buttock radiating down the leg is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which cause the nerve root compression at the spinal level.
These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature. Adequate bed rest and physical therapy are the mainstay of treatment.
Improvising your posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.
For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.
Doing an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 hours later
I have a couple of follow up questions on my recent inquiry, diagnosis spondylottic changes in the spine. I am taking Advil. Is there a stronger, over the counter pain medication?
Something that requires a prescription?

Is there any benefit from using heat or ice on the primary pain in my lower back?

Do I ask those questions here or should I sign in somewhere else?

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The stronger pain medications are prescription medicines. You can take oral muscle relaxants like Flexeril to help you better. You can also do a hot compress in the back and apply a local analgesic gel in the area for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D