• question-icon

Suggest treatment for left shoulder pain

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you,
My name is XXXX. I have a pain in my left shoulder radiating to my arm and hand for about 5 months already. I went to the dr, a surgeon chiropractor. He did X rays and then, MRI. He told me that I have a teared muscle and liquid. He said that he could inject me with cortison, use therapy or surgery.
I told him I want to do therapy, because previously I used cortison for pain in my plantar area of my feet and it almost took my hair off, made me gain lots of weigh and it did not cured me. I got cured with exercises in my feet. It was only to alleviate my pain for about 2 months and then injected again.
This time, I can not afford the $45 copay to do 2 therapies per week as the therapy facility requests. I can only afford one therapy per month. They did not accept.
What should I do to hill my left shoulder, arm and neck. I do not want to have surgery if therapy can help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start with anti inflammatory.

Detailed Answer:
A torn muscle in the shoulder with some fluid suggests an inflammation in the area. You need proper rest for the muscle to heal Do start with oral anti inflammatory medicine like Aleve do a hot compress and avoid all overhead activities. You can also apply a local analgesic gel in the area. Once the pain subsides do start with some exercises after seeing the shoulder exercise videos on internet. You can do a few exercises at home and allow it to heal.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon