Suggest treatment for laryngopharyngeal reflux

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I AM SUFFERING FROM LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX(LPS). MY LOCAL DOCTORS HAVE GIVEN ME PPI'S AND THEY DO NOT HELP ME. I AM EASILY STRESSED OUT. I TAKE T4 AND T3 FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM AND HAVE A PACEMAKER FOR 12 YEARS. THE PACEMAKER WAS NEEDED TO CORRECT CARDIAC ARRYTHMIA. I AM 78 YEARS OLD AND FEMALE.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
LPR

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to health care Magic and thanks for putting up the query
LPR can be managed by medicines and following few life style measures.
You should take the PPI empty stomach in the morning. Take an anracid syrup also.
Take frequent but small diets.
Avoid spicy food and aerated drinks.
Drink plenty of water.
Treat if you have constipation.
Don't lie down immediately after taking food.
Elevate the bed and.
Get your thyroid function test done and tell me how much Thyroxine are you taking.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX thanks for answering. I will follow your advice by eating small amount of food and drink a lot of water. I do have constipation problem and the doctor told me to take senna. By taking it I do have once a day bowl movement but also pain and cramps. I am taking T3 10mcg and T4 37.5mcg. The last blood test show TSH 1.5. I took a gastrogram before starting my prescribed PPI. The test showed low acid. My doctor insisted on my using the PPI. As I mentioned previously the PPI did not work and possibly made me feel worse.There is an inconsistency in the low acid results and having LPS. Lowering stomach acid even more seems to be in the wrong direction. What other methods are available? Thanks for your advises. Waiting for your replay. With gratitude XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information mam.
If the gastric acid levels are low than you can skip PPI and just take antacid syrup.
Rest of the medication must be continued as such only.
Follow the lifestyle measures as well.
You will definitely be benefited.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana