Suggest treatment for laryngeal neuropathy, vocal cord paresis and laryngopharyngeal reflux

Posted on Mon, 30 Mar 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've been suffering from a variety of throat conditions, specifically, laryngeal neuropathy, vocal cord paresis and laryngopharyngeal reflux.

The odynophonia, dysphagia/odynophagia, glottal discomfort and pressure, morning pain, etc. have not been remedied even with a variety of different treatments and approaches.

My question is this: is there any kind of surgical procedure that could alleviate the pain and discomfort? I've heard of two procedures (one is called microvascular decompression and the other is called rhizotomy) to treat something called glossopharyngeal neuralgia. I don't know what neuralgia is, but could either of these be used to treat my odynophonia and other issues?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Root cause ( vocal card paresis).

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having throat issues.

Based on your clinical details, it occurs to be acid laryngitis secondary to vocal card paresis.

Aspiration is common with vocal card paresis, can cause pharyngitis, laryngitis, aspiration pneumonia and odynophagia secondary to infection.

As such, vocal cards are supplied by vagus nerve, can be corrected by vocal card compensation procedures. Aboue mentioned procedures ( rhizotomy or decompression) will not help in your case, gloss pharyngeal nerve supply ends at base of tongue, it is not responsible for vocal card paresis).

I suggest you to to consult ent surgeon and get detailed ent exination ( cause for paresis), laryngoscopy ( to know abductor or adductor palsy) and stroboscopy ( detailed study of vocal cards causing regurgitation). depending on the examination reports further treatment is required accordingly.

Intially, vocal card paresis can be managed with speech therapy and life style modifications, it takes time for compensation.

Mean time take semisolid diet, stop smoking or alcohol ( if your are with these habits), bed end elevation ( support with extra pillows, to prevent regurgitation), start ppi inhibitor with pro kinetic combination ( pan- d) pantoprazole + domeperidine twice daily before food (Half an hour prior).

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist