Suggest treatment for large lump on leg after injury

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I hit my leg against a metal pipe really hard and now there is a large lump on my leg the size of a tennis ball. Will this lump go down or do I need to visit the emergency room?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Photo is needed to give good advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a picture of it? It will be much easier to help you.

Bump after a hit can be caused by tissues swelling, bone fracture or hematoma.
If its just a tissues swelling, no need to visit ER. If its fracture or hematoma, ER visit is necessary.
An x-ray is a good idea to rule out fracture. Hematoma can be diagnosed with soft tissues ultrasound.

This is the best I can tell not being able to see it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Did you get the picture?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
This looks like a hematoma. Some vein has been ruptured. If there is no pain while walking, you may wait with it.
Please try to rest and have leg in horizontal position. If you have a compression bandage, please wrap your foot and lower leg with it so the lump will be a little compressed. This should stop the bleeding. You may also apply lukewarm compress on it from time to time.
If this will stop growing, no need to go to ER. However if you will notice it is getting bigger, visit ER.

If tomorrow it will be smaller just have it under observation. It should get smaller day by day.

If it start aching, swelling will appear, consult general surgeon.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Stanko,

I'll keep it under observation tonight and see what the situation is tomorrow morning.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon