Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for lack of sensation in the leg post an operation

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear sir,
My son got operated one and half year back it was big surgery carried out in HCG XXXXXXX after operation nerve is cut due to which there is no sensation below keen. due to which foot drop and
swelling at foot. we want permanent solution.

with regards
xxxxxxxxx XXXXXXX
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi rv sreenivas


How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

actually its sad that your son has got his nerve cut during surgery,which should not occur from any doctor.

Nerves are main parts of our body,and should be taken care of.

I have seen his photograph,its a big foot drop and pretty much swelling.

swelling may be due to the fact that he cannot use his limb much. Less movements causes stagnation of blood in his limbs causing swelling..
Tablets will reduce the swelling temporarily.

I will like to know in detail about which surgery was performed on him that cut his nerve.please attach old reports if you have.

i suggest you to get his nerve conduction studies and eleclromyography of the limb to see which nerves and muscles are alive now and in what percent.
Depending on that,we have two permanent solutions-
1. Tendon transfer- transfer of alive muscle to dead muscles to improve foot drop.
2. Nerve grafting- a new nerve is used to replaced a old dead one.

Both these are permanent solutions and should be done only by a good superspeciality plastic surgeon.

He should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you
I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 days later
Dear sir,
Thanks a lot for that Please let me know best surgical specialists available in XXXXXXX
that to in and around south. i would like to treat my son for permanent solution.
with regards
Dear sir,
For instant to reduce swelling if you can suggest some tab i will be very happy.
with regards
Dear sir,
I have uploaded available reports please request you to go through and suggest
some solution.
with regards
xxxxxxxxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxxxx
Welcome back

i have gone through the reports. It was definitely a big surgery performed on him.
XXXXXXX hospital in XXXXXXX . Dr guruva XXXXXXX is a superspeciality orthopaedic hospital in south region that can handle all types of such complicated diseases.

Temporarily you can take trypsin, chymotrypsin tablets to reduce the swelling.

use compresion bandage,leg elevation

I hope your question has been answered.
If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime.
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )
Take care,God bless.      

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Chymotrypsin

doctor1 MD

I have pain in ankle of my right foot. it is swollen a bite and I have been having it for the past 5 days. I have been taking ibuprofen 400 mg two...

doctor1 MD

I have been having ankle pain looks like the bone is sticking way out and I get burning pain I can not stand a long time and the more activity I do...

doctor1 MD

I just found out that I have a large plantar calcaneal spur , and I am trying to function with the pain. I am icing the foot, am exercising, and...

doctor1 MD

Hi , I have my nice aged 3 years , and she fallen from stairs and got injury just above the eye brow , doctor has sticehd the wound and used 5...

doctor1 MD

I had a stool GI panel and one of the biggest concerns I have is the alpha anti-chymotrypsin came back as 292 which is way off the charts. Normal...

doctor1 MD

Hi, what is the recommended usage of lysoflam.
Is it fine if i take 3 tablets in a day (doc prescribed 2 but i feel to take more for fever).

doctor1 MD

today I was playing baseball and I took a direct hit from a wild pitch to my lower left shin it immediately swelled up then for hours after my foot...