Suggest treatment for lack of focus and forgetfulness while having depression

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am struggling to focus in my job, loosing track of details, not meeting all deadlines, this seems to be increasing. I do still do a good job, I just feel scattered and have difficulty staying on task and prioritizing the hundreds of tasks and emails and meetings I need to keep up with. My doctor has prescribed different depression medications over the last decade but no major change. I've gained lots of wait during this time.
I hear about ADD, I see it in kids that I work with, we kid at work about my ADD but it's getting beyond a joke for me lately.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

It may be per your description that you might be experiencing adult-onset ADHD. Sometimes in these cases a trial of a low-dose stimulant such as Adderall XR is warranted. This is not without risk -- stimulants can cause insomnia, malnutrition, anxiety, and addiction. Talk with your prescribing doctor about the risks and benefits of trying this medication.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D