question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee pain

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: Today I developed a sudden pain in my knee. It is not bothersome when sitting but when I stand up or walk it hurts a lot. It is not bone pain (familiar with that), nor does it feel like a pulled m uscle. I have bad varicose veins in my knees...could this be a blood clot. If so, is it an emergency? It is the middle of the night here, I would rather wait till morning to see a doctor.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Presently, based on the information, you can wait till morning.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM
I have gone through your query.

It is difficult to comment without examination, if possible kindly upload the picture of the affected area to provide you with specific advice.

Is it associated with swelling and is there discoloration of the affected part.

Aching of the affected area, especially after sitting or standing for lengthy periods, is noted with varicose vein. At present, based on the information provided, I feel you can wait till morning and then see a surgeon for further evaluation.
In the interim if you have an elastic compression stockings which you might have used with varicose vein, please use it and it will be helpful.

Watch out for increase in intensity of pain and swelling with discoloration, I would suggest you to see a doctor immediately.

Hope this helps. Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Harish Naik