• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee pain

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi, I have been felling unwell for a while and my gp keeps sending me home with pain relief, I have awful pain in my knees that comes and goes. I itch terribly after I bath, I am exhausted (I need at least 12 hours sleep a night and it still doesn't feel enough), I have been having awful headaches and had a tia a few months ago but they told me they would only investigate if it happens again. I recently had an MRI for my back which they noted overly high bone marrow concentration and my last blood had very high white cells. I have also been having spasms visable on the skin at the bottom of my ribs on the left side
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I want to know a little detail about your illness

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I have read your case and I have full sympathy with you, Some time there is symptoms but as there is no diagnosis then it is frustrating. It is not uncommon to have knee pain in young women so you should not be worried. I will try my best to help you. But before that I want to know little detail about your illness.
1. Since when you are having Knee pain?
2. Is it more when you are using stairs or squatting?
3. Do you feel headache when you wake up in morning or in evening.
4. Are you doing any job?
5. Do you have back pain also?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 13 minutes later
1. Since when you are having Knee pain? I have had it for over 6 months
2. Is it more when you are using stairs or squatting? No, it is not linked to anything I have checked there nothing that seems to start it or help
3. Do you feel headache when you wake up in morning or in evening. No headaches again are random but intense
4. Are you doing any job? Yes I am a project manager not overly stressful or tiring, desk job mainly
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
It might be related to chondromalacia patallae

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,

After going through the details, it could be due to chondromalacia patallae. I would suggest you to get MRI of the knee joint to confirm the diagnosis.

Until then I would treat you with calcium, vitamin D 3 and Dicerin.

Headache doesn't seem to be related to the knee pain. May be it is stress related. I suggest you discuss about it with your physician. A psychiatrist consult might be needed - he will able to take your sleep issue as well.

I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other question.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement